Sunday, March 19, 2006

The final word on Five.tv's MLB coverage?

I doubt this'll be the final word and blogging about the UK TV rights has been a big side issue away from blogging about the Yanks and Spring Training but it is something being a Brit I've had to address.

Five have the rights to all ESPN Nationally Televised games under the new contract between MLB and ESPN starting this year. This includes games on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday night. From the start of the season Five will show the Sunday game live, or as near to live as they can unless Five have something really important like six month old Triathlon or World's Wildest Nose Picks to show.

They will also be showing the Monday night game either on tape delay or live again depending on the scheduling. As for Wednesday Night games, again we'll have to wait until the Ice Hockey season finishes and again we'll have the Wednesday games and alas as we are getting used to it depends on other programming as to whether it will be live or on tape delay.

As for the World Series, I suspect we'll have to wait until opening night for the show to confirm coverage but I fully expect the World Series to be shown live on both NASN and Five.tv.

Now on to more 'Gammons is a prat' posts...

5 threw a strike:

At 4:30 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow 3 games! That's awesome. 2006 could a good year for baseball in the UK.

 
At 5:01 pm, Blogger Neil Monnery said...

It would be quite something, not huge for me as I'm an mlb.tv guy but I do like more Gould on TV!

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Pete J said...

I'm sure once the NHL finishes they will shift their Monday coverage to Wednesday and we'll end up with just two games a week (we do need the excessive poker coverage).

People always make such a big deal about tape delay coverage but those people have obviously never had to deal with being a baseball fan in Britain in the days before broadband and Five. I am thankful for any coverage I can get me mits on and am thankful for anything Five can give me.

 
At 2:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news and somewhat surprising, had a funny feeling they wouldn't be back this year.

 
At 4:42 pm, Blogger Neil Monnery said...

I have to admit I to wasn't confident about MLB returning to Five, certainly after we lost WNB last summer but they have shown a good commitment to North American Sports over the past year despite losing the Superbowl, the regular season coverage has been very good so I'm hoping Five continue on this upward trend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home