Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Moose sharp, A-Frod blunt, Yanks lose

Sometimes it is very good to blog after I've had a kip following the game the night before. I still get quite annoyed that I stayed up 'til just gone six local time only to see Scott Proctor enter a tie game in the bottom of the 9th, at least I knew then that I wouldn't have to stay up for extras but I'm not going to be blaming him for our loss today.

My number one blame goes to...

The man my colleague dubbed A-Frod (Yes I did spell that right, it saves a letter and considering he expects to type it a lot this season it might saves a good 5000 taps on his keyboard)

I read Bill Simmons ESPN opening day diary and here are the excerpts from 7:45 and 7:49:

7:45 -- Sheffield strikes out on a 3-2 pitch (bringing Zito's pitch count to an even 300). ... And if you don't think we're in "Cheap Grand Slam" territory for A-Rod right now, you obviously don't know the man very well. Is there any way I can wager on this?

7:49 -- Here's Kay: "Driven deep to left field, going back, Payton, looking up ... see ya! A grand slam for Alex Rodriguez, the 430th home run of his career! And the Yankees have a 7-0 lead!"
(You couldn't make this stuff up.)


I wanted to argue and protect the Yankees 3B but two days into the season and it is already true, in important situations this guy isn't producing. In the 1st he struck out swinging with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out, in the 6th he struck out swinging with RISP yet again but then come the 9th, tie game, runners on 1st and 2nd and he meekly grounds out to Short.

Moose looked sharp giving up three runs over seven innings and in all honesty, if we get that type of production start in, start out, then we should be delighted. Myers and Farnsworth made their Yankee debuts and held on to the tie going into the 9th before a lead off walk by Proctor came back to haunt him.

So neither the Sox nor the Yankees are going 162-0 this season, poo.

0 threw a strike:

Post a Comment

<< Home