Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Simmons weighs in on the Rocket

So I read Bill Simmons latest blog this morning and you've got to laugh. Red Sox Nation despises Roger so much and yet you know full well if he had returned to them things would've been oh so different.

3. He burned his bridges with yet another city (Houston). Love when that happens.

Yep - he certainly burnt his bridges with the Yankees when he left, he would never be welcomed back there, no way, no how - oh wait - wasn't he given a standing ovation by the crowd when he announced his return on Sunday?

Also he still has a ten-year contract with the Astros after he finally gives up pitching in 2019 or whenever it will be to work for them.

'8. We're coming closer and closer to my dream of Clemens' Hall of Fame plaque featuring a cap with a dollar sign on it. I feel as if that's a genuine possibility at this point.'

That has as much possibility as me asking out that 40 year-old nurse I'm lusting after and then her saying she's been waiting for me to ask her out for the past six months. It just isn't going to happen.

What I really love about everyone dragging up how much he's being paid is that everyone else in the world wouldn't get as much money as possible as they could for doing their job. If Bill is offered the same job with the same perks for SI or Fox or CBS at more money than he's currently on by a vast percentage then are we to believe he'd turn it down?

Rightly or wrongly here in the western world earning as much money as possible is kind of important. He doesn't need the money as he's set up his family and his kids kids, and their kids and their kids for life but heck if someone wants to offer him $18.5m or so for five months work with excellent perks and to pitch in the limelight and for a man he respects and with team mates who want him, then it is kind of a no brainer.

However, that isn't right, Roger is an evil money grabber blah blah blah.

I love bitter fans - I really do.

PS: For the record I don't expect miracles but I don't see Clemens falling off a cliff just yet...

0 threw a strike:

Post a Comment

<< Home