Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Cash me in

So A-Rod likes to play a bit of poker in his spare time with Phil Hellmuth Jnr, big ******* deal boys and girls. I am surprised that the NY Times even bothered posting such a non-story. I know he is one of the most famous guys in the city but going to, and gambling in these places is not illegal, although running them is certainly a grey area. So what if the guy wants to play some cards, I would prefer him to do that rather than dabble in drugs and excesses of booze.

I may have a strong feeling on this as I am myself a regular poker player. I like to play No Limit Texas Hold 'Em with a few mates with a drink and a bite to eat. It is really not a big deal, I know Stateside there are some real issues around gambling, and certainly within Major League Baseball, but you can't run a guys life.

The NY Times reported, "What in the world is he thinking?" a high-ranking MLB official said. "He can do what he wants in the off-season and he isn't breaking the law - we checked - but why do it?" My reply to this 'high-ranking MLB official' is why not? He isn't breaking the law and playing cards with poker players has absolutely no effect on baseball. Poker players play poker, they don't gamble on sporting events, they are two very different aspects of gambling, so MLB should shut their traps and stop getting their knickers in a twist over this.

I have to say this has really pissed me off, an article with quotes from up high dissing a human being for a perfectly legal act, what is this World coming too?

2 threw a strike:

At 2:05 am, Blogger Neil Hay said...

Well the only issue is that it isn't the local branch of the Salvation Army that he is visiting...

If he runs up debts that he can't pay (well on that salary, maybe not), what if the (connected) guy that runs the game says, you know A-Rod, if you just threw a game, we would be even...

And as for A-Rod being the biggest star in town... as an almost New Yorker... fugehhdaboutit...

 
At 10:41 am, Blogger Neil Monnery said...

Playing the what if game is a game I do not like to play. Everyone (including most of the US Media) seems to think that playing poker in these clubs is akin to what Pete Rose did.

Would A-Rod really ever rack up so much debt that he couldn't pay it off? I have heard that he doesn't even play for big money as he is still trying to learn the game.

I just don't see why people are getting on a guys back for doing legal activities, getting lambasted for doing something legal, it just doesn't add up.

Oh and as for biggest star in town, I said one of the biggest and I stand by that ;)

Lastly I have an interesting article to write on the big name AL OF who tested positive for drugs, and it isn't Matt Lawton...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home