Thursday, March 01, 2007

The start of another season...

Well if Curt wants to know where he is in the big picture, NESN, with Schill actually on the mound, is advertising the "big night" on Friday - yup, Dice-K's debut!

Schill looks like he has lost a few pounds since the start of spring training, but he still looks big... not David Wells big, but still - and first pitch is a swinging foul down the 3b line, second pitch is a nice called strike, 3rd a slashing foul, 4th a called ball... on the outcide corner that in ST has to be a called strike, while the 5th pitch gets a ground-out to SS, and an easy out for our new SS, Julio Lugo.

After an easy pop-up to Varitek on the first pitch to get the second out, Schilling retired Mauer himself covering 1st, on a ground-out to Youkilis - a nice 1, 2, 3 inning to start the year! Clearly on that inning, the Sox should pony up on a 5 year / $75m deal for the guy!

Sadly no Drew in RF to start the night - presumably he is critically injured - but Julio Lugo leads off in his first AB in the Sox uniform and grounds out to 3rd... we never should have signed that guy...

As I said last year, Spring Training really is meaningless, but after a few months of nothing... it really is great to be watching the Sox again, no matter how meaningless the game!

3 threw a strike:

At 7:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you're in mid-season form, already criticizing the umps for a close strike call.

 
At 7:14 pm, Blogger Neil Hay said...

I am just using ST to get into shape (!) like the players - I may have missed that call on a key strike in mid-May if I hadn't called it here!

 
At 5:16 pm, Blogger Insignificant Wrangler said...

I'm sure a Dice-K review is coming, I only saw the ESPN highlights. Fastball looked really straight, and I was thinking "why in the hell did we sign this guy?" until I saw that curve-slurve-"oh-my-word-that-thing-is-disgusting-of-course-he-deserves-103-million" pitch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home