Thursday, November 03, 2005

Matt Lawton isn't the big AL OF whose tested positive for drugs

Well that is if you believe him and also believe Will Carroll, whose comments gave us a week or so of speculation as to whom the AL OF who has tested positive for drugs is. He said it would be a player we cared about, he has since responded when asked, "So that was the guy we cared about???" with, 'What do you want? Do we all only care about gotchas and the next Palmeiro? Will we need ever increasing names or do we just want to headhunt Bonds until he admits he's the anti-christ, shot Kennedy, and impregnated our daughters with his steroid-ridden seed?'

"Really, what player SHOULDNT we care about and if I say, on national radio, "No, we shouldnt care" what does that say about me?"


All well and good but also he commented that the player in question was involved in the appeals process, something which Matt Lawton wasn't. 'I made a terrible and foolish mistake that I will regret for the rest of my life," Lawton told the AP. "I take full responsibility for my actions and did not appeal my suspension. I apologize to the fans, the game, my family and all those people I let down. I am truly sorry and deeply regret my terrible lapse in judgment.'

So someone is lying, either Lawton, which I find hard to believe given his frankness and honesty or Will Carroll decided to embellish the truth and make the whole story sound just that little bit more exciting. I don't care if Matt Lawton did drugs, he sucks, and it isn't like the drugs helped him become a good player. He wasn't even on the Yankees 25-man roster and if he thinks the average fan cares about Matt freaking Lawton then he is greatly mistaken.

They do care about players that actually mean something. It is the same in any sport, big names mean big stories, but if smaller lesser known players do something wrong then the general public, rightly or wrongly, are far less interested. Over here in the UK in the past few years we have had several footballers in court on various charges, the most high-profile were Jonathan Woodgate and Lee Bowyer, who were charged with assault and affray, whereas other lesser known players have gone through rape trials with hardly a murmur from the press, that is just the way it is boys and girls.

It was however Matt Lawton to whom Will Carroll was referring, good in a way that the sport won't be dragged through the mud, disappointing that the story was a let-down for the media, this was a non-story, which was nearly blown up into something very big...

2 threw a strike:

At 5:04 am, Blogger Neil Hay said...

Shouldn't the Yankees get a game deducted or something for fielding a drug cheat?

And what is it about Yankee players and drug use... allegedly... ;-)

 
At 10:53 am, Blogger Neil Monnery said...

It depends...if every team got that sanction then yes, if its just the Yankees and the RedSox need to way a way to finally win the ALE then no :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home