Thursday, October 05, 2006

The playoffs - 1 down, 10 to go

One win in the books, ten more needed to be crowned World Champions.

My first experience of MLB was the 2001 World Series, since then I've followed the Yankees closely and despite being the favourites many times before, this year we are legit favourites and not just that, we are the legit overall favourites to win the AL and go on to win the World Series.

Confidence in my sporting teams isn't something that flows naturally through my veins, in all honesty, I always fear the worse, however just looking at the following nine names changes all that.

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
Sheffield
Giambi
Rodriquez
Matsui
Posada
Cano

I know pitching wins in the post season but that is some lineup, the best I've ever seen, and I'd say just as good as some of the All-Star teams I've seen. Patience is the key, and with a stacked order of guys who take a lot of pitches and therefore exposing the middle relief corps of the opposition, all the Yankees need from their starters is enough.

In game one CMW gave us 6.2 inning of three run ball and probably could've gone further if Joe hadn't of decided to play the lefty/lefty matchup card of Mike Myers and Curtis Granderson, gee that one really worked, however, Wang gave us enough, and if our starters go into the 7th and give up three runs in every game they play, you'd back the Yankees to become World Champions, you really would.

Game 2 is now tonight (well this afternoon for most of the readers) and if the Yankees can go to Motor City with a 2-0 lead then you can start plotting in the back of your minds how to beat the Oakland A's.

0 threw a strike:

Post a Comment

<< Home