Monday, April 18, 2005

Game 12 at Fenway Park

Well I made my first trip of the season to Fenway today - a first chance to see this years changes to the Park (the nicest of which is shown above!), and my first visit to Fenway since a very cold October evening in 2004!

A truly stunning spring day in Boston, game time temperature was 67 degrees (18 degrees in ye olde Englishe moneye) and from my seats on the third base side, I had a great view of the game - these were Sox four pack seats, so if they had been bad today, I would have had the same bad view to look forward to in May, July and September!

This was the fourth time I have seen Wakefield start, and it was probably the best I have seen him pitch. He had a number of base runners in the early innings - 4 hits and three walks in his 6IP, but always seemed to be able to get the pitch that he needed - in the 1st inning, the Rays had men on 2nd and 3rd with no outs, before Tim recorded a strikeout, a lineout to 1st and a second strikeout to move safely out of the inning (and maintain the Sox's position as the only team to yet give up a 1st inning run).

On top of his specific numbers today, Wake also continued his steady climb up the Red Sox record boards - he is now 3rd in strikeouts, moving past Cy Young, but still some way behind the Rocket and Pedro (1st and 2nd respectively), and is now 7th in the 'all-time wins' category - there should really be some sort of prize for the person leaving the top 6 in the comments section!

0 threw a strike:

Post a Comment

<< Home