Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Beckett sent to Beantown

So the first big trade of the BOS/NYY off season has been completed by the Red Sox. They've brought in Florida Marlins Pitcher Josh Beckett and taken on the $18m left on Mike Lowell's contract. To get these players they have finally dealt Hanley Ramirez who every Sox fan seemed to think was the next great thing, and to go with him the Sox have added Anibal Sanchez and Jesus Delgado to the deal.

It will become official after all players have completed the appropriate physicals.

Now how does this effect the Bronx Bombers?

Whilst there is no doubt whatsoever as to Josh Beckett's quality, his proneness to injury will be a concern to Sox fans. Mike Lowell had an awful year and it'll be interesting to see how my colleague Neil H sees this part of the deal as he thought Lowell was done last season whilst I thought he'd bounce back (I for once am hoping that he was right and I was horribly wrong for once).

The Yanks could've had Beckett but would of had to take on Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo's contracts as well as sending Robinson Cano, Chien Ming-Wang, Eric Duncan and another as yet unnamed prospect to the Marlins. I am perfectly happy that Cash said 'thanks but no thanks' and put the phone down.

Whilst this deal does make Boston better, I am less concerned that I probably should be. I don't want to move our star assets in this deal and we can't exactly stop Red Sox trades. We have to concentrate on making ourselves better and I am sure we will. Good deal for the Sox, let's just hope we can trump them.

Did someone say Ichiro?

2 threw a strike:

At 10:16 pm, Blogger Yankees Chick said...

is it just me or does that seem unbalanced? how did they pull that off?

 
At 10:51 pm, Blogger Neil Monnery said...

They took on a big bad contract mainly. I think in terms of playing talent they fleeced Florida but the Marlins are shedding payroll like it is going out of fashion. It is a bit like the Schilling trade where they traded Schilling for Casey Fossum whereas the D'Backs wanted us to give up Soriano and Nick Johnson. We obviously baulked at those demands and the Sox got him cheaply.

Thing is Texas offered Blalock and Denks which I thought was a better offer but obviously the Marlins are sold on Hanley Ramirez as a ML SS...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home