Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A-Rod commits...to the US

Well yesterday I wrote on this here blog that A-Rod should play in the World Baseball Classic and that his participation should honour his Dominican heritage. Well not 24 hours later and the reigning AL MVP made up his mind and he chose to play, but for his adopted United States of America.

Speaking to his website, ARod.com, Rodriguez said, "Following discussion with my family and agent, the Commissioner, and the Major League Baseball Players Association, I have decided to participate in the World Baseball Classic."

"In recent weeks, following dialogue with caring friends and players, both Dominican and American, I reached the conclusion that if I played in the Classic, I would play for the United States and honor my American citizenship."

I have no problem with him playing whatsoever, it was clear that he wanted to play but was really struggling with dishonouring one of the two nations. I feel quite strongly that its not a dishonour to represent the other nation, more of an honour to represent the other so hopefully now the book can be closed and A-Rod can enjoy being part of the classic.

3 threw a strike:

At 7:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is it more of an honor to represent the DR?

He is an American citizen whose salary is paid by US fans and US advertisers.

 
At 7:19 pm, Blogger Neil Monnery said...

I didn't say it was more of an honour to represent the DR over the US, but of the whole thing it was more an honour to represent a country rather than a dishonour for the other if he reprsented the other (if that makes any sense?)

Either way I was happy for him to play but personally I would've prefered him to represent the country of his parents but I have no problem with him representing the country of his upbringing and livelihood.

 
At 9:25 am, Blogger Pete J said...

Basically he should not have to fear recrimination for playing for one country over the other.

It should be, and is, an honour to represents ones country and its good to see that all he has managed to see beyond his ego and PR sensibilities to see this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home