Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Yanks fight back, top KC

I was caught off guard by the early start yesterday so I missed the first three innings. It was an ugly performance by the Yankees in all honesty as Wang struggled and Sturtze sucked but a five spot in the bottom of the 8th topped off by a Derek Jeter three run shot gave the Bombers their 9th straight win on their home opener, tying an American League record.

Behind a three run shot in the 1st by Jason Giambi and an awful performance by Joe Mays, the Yanks looked like cruising to a victory until Wang started to struggle as the pesky KC hitters kept finding holes. Bernie being picked off at second on an Infield Fly summed up the home side's performance over the first eight innings until they stepped it up and somehow clawed their way back to victory.

Mariano didn't exactly slam the door, giving up a hit and hitting Mike Sweeney on a tailing fastball but he recorded the save, his first of the season with Scott Proctor throwing a perfect 8th for the win.

It was a strange game for me, I never really seemed to get into it. I was floating between making dinner and doing other stuff on the home opener whilst my fellow blogger was at Fenway watching Josh Beckett pitch well and get me a win in my fantasy league, oh and Papelbon got me a save as well, bonus.

I wish I was in the Bronx *grumbles*

0 threw a strike:

Post a Comment

<< Home